The Define American team extends its deepest condolences to the family and friends of Define American cofounder and board cochair Jake Brewer, who was tragically killed during a charity bicycle ride in Maryland on September 19th. [...]
There are those who say that "alien" is a perfectly fine, neutral term, and that anyone who finds it offensive is playing word police and should just check the dictionary. [...]
This isn't about being overly sensitive. It's about creating a society where people aren't defined by societal prejudices. [...]
“Get out of the country, you illegals!” I yelled at the top of my lungs from the backseat of the car my friend was driving. “We don’t want you here!” You may never guess that a member of Jose Antonio Vargas’s Define American organization, which aims to create a more welcoming culture for immigrants, once yelled insults at Latino day laborers as a teenager. Furthermore, you may also never guess I am Latino myself, and that my father was once an undocumented immigrant. [...]
Directed by Define American Founder, Jose Antonio Vargas [...]
Share Your Story
- Define American Statement on Death of Co-Founder Jake Brewer
- Jose Antonio Vargas: I'm not an 'alien'
- Opinion: To call someone an "illegal alien" is to imply one's mere existence is criminal
- One Mistake As A Teen Made Me An Ally For Undocumented Immigrants
- "White People" Documentary Examining Race and Immigration Airs Tonight
- All New Trailer for MTV’s “White People” Asks Uncomfortable Questions On White Privilege And White Frustration
- The Courage to Be Undocumented
- New Online Campaign Encourages Undocumented Americans to “Come Out”
- Happy 4 years #DefineAmerican!
- The South, Not Just in Black and White