We all come from somewhere. No matter whether your family came here long ago or recently, whether you’re an undocumented American or an ally, please share your story.
Tips for recording your video:
- Ensure that you are in a quiet, bright room. We must be able to hear and see you for your story to look and feel appealing.
- Speak slowly. You may feel strong emotions, and your story may be complex, so it is important that everyone can understand you clearly.
- Speak from your heart. Talk about your dreams, for yourself or your family. Talk about the challenges you face. If you are an ally, tell us why. Your honesty will make your video a success.
- Be fearless. DefineAmerican.com is an open storytelling platform. It is okay to disagree with people who use this website. Your response through your own personal life story is needed to encourage a mature, reasoned conversation about immigrants and citizenship in America today.
- Be respectful of others. All posts submitted to DefineAmerican.com must follow our community guidelines.
If you are concerned about potentially losing your job or getting picked up by ICE after sharing your story publicly, please click here to learn more about your legal rights and access resources compiled by the National Immigration Law Center. Coming forward is a courageous step and, as with all courageous acts, carries risks. Many of these risks can be minimized if you have a plan that includes support from loved ones and connection to community groups.