About the Fellowship
Define American created this fellowship to support immigrant artists who engage their communities as they further develop their artistic practice and shape narratives of American identity. Selected artists receive a stipend and resources and gain national exposure as they work with community-based organizations, build their capacity as cultural change-makers and demonstrate how art can catalyze positive and lasting narrative change.
Define American recognizes a broad definition of artist, including: painters, designers, writers, comedians, poets, actors, sculptors, filmmakers, interdisciplinary artists, etc. This program is uniquely suited to supporting artists who have a deep commitment to their local communities.
Selected artist fellows will receive:
- $5,000 stipend
- Regular coaching check-ins with Define American staff
- Professional development workshops
- Tools to collaborate with community-based organizations in their local communities
- Opportunity to apply for additional project-based arts funding
- Opportunities to collaborate with national and regional Define American programs and campaigns as the artist is interested
Check back in January 2021 for 2021 fellowship information.
Questions: Please contact the Creative Programs Manager Bethany Wearden ([email protected]).
The Define American Artist Fellowship is made possible through a grant from the Kresge Foundation.