Today the government will propose drastically changing our immigration system, to make it much harder for families to stay together and prosper in the United States. The new plan would halve the number of family-based and humanitarian visas to the U.S. in favor of education requirements, language tests, and class-based social engineering.
Millions of people have realized the American Dream because of the protections guaranteed in the 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act. Define American wants to hear your family’s story!
Tell us how your family benefited from family reunification! Use the hashtag #ThanksFam on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or anywhere else you internet.
- If you were sponsored by your kids, parents, spouse, or siblings, let us know with #ThanksFam.
- If you arrived on a diversity visa, got asylum, or have refugee status, you are part of the family too. Let us know your story with the #ThanksFam hashtag.
- If your family came prior to 1965, seeking safety, freedom, and prosperity here, shout out the ancestors with a #ThanksFam post.
Families are America’s greatest strength. Why would we weaken reunification laws?
- People come to America for their families, and with their families. As it has been throughout our history, they start family businesses, practice their faith, and participate in our democracy.
- Those who would limit family immigration are betraying the best things about our country. We stand as a beacon to the world for families seeking safe harbor. This administration is trying hard to end that legacy.
- Anti-immigrant hate groups have spent the past decade fixated on how to reduce the number of families coming to America. Our time-tested formula for who comes to the country favors family reunification, humanitarianism, and diversity. This administration would end that.
Why does this administration want to change a system it’s benefited from?